Brexit and the CHIEF Replacement
The current outcome and timings on the Brexit negotiations are uncertain, but one aspect is clear: it will have a serious impact on your Customs and Trade Compliance setup (please see infographic as well). In addition, you and your team need to prepare on the upcoming CHIEF replacement with the new Customs Declaration Service (scheduled go-live January 2019). Time is ticking….
Since November 2017, the transition from CHIEF to CDS is proceeding and the first three key phases have been completed. The first release of CDS went live in August 2018 to enable the submission of import supplementary declarations. Furthermore, HMRC decided to phase Release 2 (imports functionality) in order to keep as close as possible to their migration targets.
Breakdown of Release 2 phases
The prioritization of supplementary declarations will be continued due to the high-volume transactions in the UK. In addition, this functionality will also be applicable to frontier declarations, once it is enabled. An overview of import functionalities that have been realized and those which are to realize can be found on the HMRC website.
Exports and Immediate Payments
Moreover, it will be continued to deliver exports functionality and the ability to make immediate payments by the end of March 2019. It is important to mention that the majority of exporters will not be migrated before April/May 2019. This means that not all traders will have migrated to CDS by the end of March 2019, thus the dual-run of CHIEF and CDS will be continued and it will still be possible to submit some declarations to CHIEF and others to CDS after March 2019.
Since the trade test service has experienced challenges in support and stability it is of high importance to resolve and stabilise it. The next addition to trade test functionality is already planned for early January 2019. To get more information about the functionality, visit the HMRC website.
The exact date for decommissioning CHIEF and when its availability will be ceased will be communicated in early 2019. It is important to notice that all traders will need to ensure they have migrated by this point.
Getting Ready for the switch from CHIEF to CDS
All businesses that import and export goods from and to the UK need to get ready for CDS and be prepared. Currently all companies are using CHIEF. After the transition from CHIEF to CDS they will still be able to do the same things with CDS as they did with CHIEF, but with some differences.
CHIEF will still be available for a certain period of time while businesses is switching to CDS to ensure that trade continues to flow as usual. For more information on the Customs Declaration Service (CDS), please visit the CDS page on GOV.UK.
MIC – Your provider for software to exchange data with the new Custom Declaration Service (CDS) and more
Many global companies decided to implement MICs global customs & trade compliance software solutions from which many of our customers are using our solutions in the UK since more than a decade as well. MIC is certified in the UK for the electronic data exchange with the UK customs authority system (CHIEF) since 1999 and will be ready on time for the upcoming new Customs Declaration Service (CDS).
The MIC Customs & Trade Compliance Software Solutions offer a functional rich and proven suite of modules to support you and your team on the following areas:
- Global Trade Content Services (MIC GTCS) for the different customs & trade compliance processes (e.g. tariff content, sanction lists, exchange rates) covering 150+ countries – updated automatically on a regular basis in MICs software suite.
- Central Classification System (MIC CCS) supporting companies in automating the tariff and export control classification process with rule-based and intelligent algorithms in order to achieve consistent classification over all products globally and therefore increase compliance and reduce workload & costs.
- Origin Calculation System (MIC OCS) for automated management of supplier declarations via an innovative supplier web-portal and automated preferential origin calculation with full audit trail for 90+ Free Trade Agreements (FTAs).
- Global Filing Solution for automated electronic export and import customs clearance processes (MIC-CUST®) with local customs authorities’ systems in 50+ countries on 6 continents incl. special regimes like Inward Processing Relief (IPR), Bonded Warehouse (BWH), Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ), Free Zone (FZ) and its related legally required customs inventory management.
- Export Control Management (MIC ECM) for central monitoring of all company transactions under export control law and detailed checks of the business transactions with respect to the relevant regulations. This includes screening of persons and organizations involved in a given transaction against different sanctions lists, checking against embargoed countries, control of goods related to end use and dual-use as well as license determination and license management.
All MIC Modules can either work separately or in combination with each other. Independent on the chosen deployment there will be a seamless integration with your ERP and other logistics and finance systems. MIC is your One-Stop-Shop for Global-Trade-Management.
MIC guides you through the transition to CDS by providing the perfect software solution for CDS. Prepare for the switch from CHIEF to CDS and choose the best option for Customs & Trade Compliance.
If you would like to receive more information on how MIC could help you, please let us know by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will contact you shortly.